Pages

1/11/2010

AAWSM, observed

I am in the habit of trawling for stories; when my friend said "salmon" and "collective" and "Ann Arbor", I knew it was a keeper.

Wild Salmon Minyan

Now what to do about that salmon fillet in my freezer...

5 comments:

sir boogie board sledder said...

this friend was wondering what happened to that salmon fillet...

Clarisse said...

it's such an ordeal, right?

the armada argonaut said...

word is ordeals are best rigthed on wednesdays

Q. said...

Nice article. It's good they only order a few times a year; one wonders, though, how the harm reduced viz. fish compares with the carbon emissions due to shipping.

PS. Check out my latest FB album for recent MH adventures.

Clarisse said...

I wondered the same, Q. Hesterman said that he aims to support diverse food systems–as wonderful as Michigan cherries are, he wants others to eat them too. It's not the most sustainable act to eat salmon from 2,000 miles away. In their defense, I don't think local is necessarily their modus operandi; there are, furthermore, two things that at least tip in a positive direction: the Lummi Island collective also sells fish via mail order, but this is even less sustainable and drives up the price of the fish. Second, they time the orders so that the truck drops off deliveries at the clubs around the country. Killing two fish with one worm? :)

Thankfully, word counts make me refrain from bad puns, but it also limits the amount of information I can pack in. Thanks for reading–and the last supper is hilarious.